May 6, 2008

My concern

A few weeks ago, while walking my dog, I noticed an unnerving rusty-coloured area along the path that I usually take. I have heard from a long-time resident that this site used to be a private dump site for some nasty things, so this sudden appearance (to me) caused me to do some digging.

Firstly, I took pictures of the site on April 22. I have posted some below. According to a family member of mine, it started just after the spring snow melt. It looks like iron or something, but not having a toxicological background or the thousands of dollars for testing I can not say for sure.

This is very concerning because a) the area is heavily used by dog walkers and other people, b) there is a subdivision directly adjacent to the area, and c) anything leaching out ends up in the Harmony Creek and Lake Ontario (which supplies our drinking water)! Is anyone watching and keeping an eye on this?


"We've poured our poisons into the world as though it were a bottomless pit.. and we go on gobbling them up. It's hard to imagine how the world could survive another century of this abuse, but nobody's really doing anything about it. It's a problem our children will have to solve, or their children."
- Daniel Quinn -










No comments: